Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Night in Roppongi, and the bowing competition


I was trying to catch a picture of jeffry's newly shaved head, but he chose to put his shirt on just as I snapped the shot. Good technique:). He's my flying man:). We are on our way out to spend the evening in the Roppongi district of Tokyo where the night life exists. I tried sake for the first time:). Wow, that stuff burns on the way down, but so yummy:). It was a fun evening with the nice backdrop of the Tokyo Tower all lit up. Unfortunately, I left my camera in the room and don't have any pictures of it. I got to wear my nice belt I bought in Tokyo, 3900 yen, the most I have ever spent on a belt, but it is so cute:).

Speaking of the belt, as I was checking out I would bow and say arigato, and the cashier would bow lower and say arigato gozimasu, so I returned the bow even lower, so on and so forth for about ten bows, until I realized I had to end it. As per customer service, she would get the last bow in, lol. It was an interesting sight.

Oh, to end the evening, we found out the hard way that the subway closes down for a few hours every night. So it's two am and we need to get back to the hotel. We got into a taxi and the driver did not know any English! We had these cards to hand a taxi driver that supposedly had directions back to the hotel we were staying at, just in case this happened. He could not understand that either! Wow, so much for being prepared, lol. I still don't know how we made it back to the hotel, but we did eventually, after many hand signals and our best attempt at japanese.

No comments:

Post a Comment